They are encouraged to design and plan their work through drawing and discussion and evaluate their models when they are complete. Children study different areas of modern living including food, textiles and construction techniques. To develop their knowledge, skills and understanding, children also investigate a wide range of products, leading to evaluation of their own designs and finished products.
Children's work will show:
• High levels of originality and the willingness to take creative risks to produce innovative ideas and prototypes.
• An excellent attitude to learning and independent working.
• The ability to use time efficiently and work constructively and productively with others.
• The ability to carry out thorough research, show initiative and ask questions to develop an exceptionally detailed knowledge of users’ needs.
• The ability to act as responsible designers and makers, working ethically, using finite materials carefully and working safely.
• A thorough knowledge of which tools, equipment and materials to use to make their products.
• The ability to apply mathematical knowledge.
• The ability to manage risks exceptionally well to manufacture products safely and hygienically.
• An interest in the subject and knowledge of up-to-date technological innovations in materials, products and systems.
All children are encouraged to develop their design and making skills through practical tasks. From the Early Years children are given the opportunity to use a wide variety of materials and to manipulate tools safely.