Speaking and Listening
These opportunities, as well as whole school concerts and performances, provide a valuable means of building confidence and developing the ability to listen to and appreciate the efforts of others. Effective communication is promoted and nurtured in school and our aim is for the children to develop into confident, articulate speakers with:
• Good skills for listening attentively so as to understand what is being said.
• A rich and varied vocabulary that gives clarity and interest to conversations.
• Clear speech that can be easily understood by a range of audiences.
• A good grasp of the rules used in English conversation, such as tenses and the grammatical structure of sentences.
• A good ability to tell stories that capture the interest and imagination of the audience.
• A delight in initiating and joining in conversations.
• Respect for others when communicating, even when views differ
Speaking, listening and performing skills are promoted throughout the school through storytelling, discussion groups, drama lessons, and role play. Children are also encouraged to speak in assemblies and whole school events.